Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Who You Are




This is one of my most favorite poems ever. I still can't read it without bawling...hahaha. Sandra (my daughter's mother) wrote this poem which is like a letter to our beautiful daughter Taila. It's about the love a parent has for their child to learn and grow and develop and experience everything they can in life. It's also about the two great cultures that merged between Taila's parents and to make her who she is!!!

Who You Are

From the great big things to the tiniest ones,
From what’s essential to what matters the least…

I want you to see the colors of the rainbow
From the pages of a book to the top of the Iguacu Falls…

I want to watch you hunting for treasures
From our front door to the back yard and then
From the Pacific to the Atlantic Oceans…

I want you to share the excitement
From the world’s most seen sights
To the ones yet to be discovered…



I want you to travel by car, train, bus, bike, plane, boat and foot,
To hike up a mountain or a sand dune, to watch the sun set or rise
From castles to shacks, from black to white and everything in between,
From soft white sand to soft white snow, from gray to blue skies,
From English to Portuguese, from north to south and east to west…

I want you know these two amazing countries
Separated mostly by geography and economy but
United by the hands of God through the love of your parents
So you could become who you are…

One of my wishes for you is that you love and respect these two nations
With all your heart and mind. You can learn so much from both of them !

I wanted to live in a perfect world where both of these lives can be joined
I’ve not found it yet, but I assure you there are paradises here and there…

You will find them I promise !

Love,
Sua Mae (your mother)…Sandra Thurston

Written by: Sandra Regina De Almeida Thurston
Date: 2005


May one day Taila share her love for Brazil with all those she loves in the United States.


1 comment:

gctrx4byu said...

Thank you for reminding us of a beautiful love & relationship. I know I have read this before , but it is great to be reminded. Thank you
Gary Thurston loweze